What is ENGAGe?
- Established in 2012, the European Network of Gynaecological Cancer Advocacy Groups is a network of European patient advocacy groups established by ESGO representing all gynaecological cancers particularly (ovary, endometrial, cervix, vulva and rare cancers).
Why is ENGAGe needed?
- There are wide variations in patient care across Europe
- Patients are not adequately informed about gynaecological cancer and their management
- Survivorship issues are not adequately addressed and psychosocial support in general is poor
The ENGAGe objectives are to:
- Facilitate the development of national gynaecological cancer patient groups in Europe and to facilitate networking and collaboration between them.
- Disseminate information and share best practices to empower patient groups and improve the quality of care across Europe.
- To increase patient representation in ESGO activities by education on current research and health policy.
- To advocate patient care policies practices and access to appropriate care at both national and European levels.
- To educate patient groups, health professionals, the public and health decision makers.
- Health Practitioners
- Women's health networks
- Patient Groups
- Cancer Organisations
- multidisciplinary input to treatment plans
- centralisation of specialist care
- individualization of treatment
- community care in local environment
- survivorship (>1 year)
Active areas of research
- Early diagnosis – primary care/community
- Targeted therapy
- Familial risk
- Selection of subgroups likely to benefit from individualized treatment
- Quality of Life
Why ESGO is the natural partner of patient networks
- The size of membership and meeting attendance reflect its global influence to ensure the gynaecological cancer patient perspective becomes integrated in the European cancer voice.
- Raise attention to the need for further research and improve access to quality treatment and care.
- No vested interests other than patient health makes it ideally placed to influence governments.
- Provides a comprehensive approach to the health of women with gynaecological cancer.
- Prospect of private/public partnership funding e.g. FP7, Horizon 2020.